Is DAFNE for me?
The DAFNE program may not be right for all people with type 1 diabetes. Below is a list of criteria that may help you decide if DAFNE is right for you. We also suggest that you talk to your endocrinologist or treating doctor about your interest in the course.
To attend a DAFNE course, you need to:
- Have type 1 diabetes
- Be 18 years or older
- Not be on a pump
- Take one or two injections of long acting insulin each day and quick acting insulin each time you eat
- Be willing to inject, check and record your blood glucose levels at least four or five times a day
- Be prepared to adjust your own insulin according to what you eat, your blood glucose levels, and other factors (for example, exercise)
- Be able to attend all five days of the program from 9 am to 5 pm
- Be able to speak, understand and read English
We will need some information about your current diabetes management and your general health, including:
- Your latest HbA1c result, and other blood and urine test results
- Any complications you have as a result of your diabetes
- Whether you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant
- The contact details for your endocrinologist or treating doctor. We will ask them for your medical history, and their consent for you to attend the program.